Friday 5 July 2013

Even Sadder Sunflower Story

It is with deep sadness that I write today. Yesterday, I went to check on our brave beacon of a sunflower that had been growing tall despite the odds, only to find it had been cut down in its prime, leaves chewed to pieces and stalk cut brutally. I blame the caterpillars. Next year, we shall be guarding our sunflowers with more care and attention. This year, we shall have to make do with white hydrangeas as big as Z1's head.

 
(For the full saga of the sunflowers, check out here, here, here and here) 

8 comments:

  1. Oh No! I grew a sunflower when I was a little girl, and the same thing happened to me. Nature can be so cruel! I hope that next year will be more successful for you, the idea of a sunflower circle was a great one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Pinterest gave me the idea of the sunflower circle, just to give credit where credit is due!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your good wishes! I have quite an emotional relationship with sunflowers, it would seem as when they are tall and facing the sun, they never fail to put a smile on my face but I remember feelings of gloom travelling home from camping holidays at the end of August and seeing fields of sunflowers, past flowering, heads hanging down despondently. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete